Around here, you learn to find ways to pass the time... or go mad like everyone else.
Seam about their shop
Seam (pronounced Shawm) is the first shopkeeper encountered in the game, found in the Field.
Seam's shop has the following items for sale:
- Dark Candy for 40 D$
- Darkburger for 70 D$
- Amber Card for 100 D$
- Spookysword for 200 D$
- CD Bagel for 100 D$ (replaces Dark Candy, after recruiting at least 9 Darkners in the Cyber World)
Seam looks like a stuffed toy cat, with a blueish-purple face, brown clothing and a fuzzy, orange scarf or ruff around their neck. Seam's nose is half a triangle, and on the top of their head lies a black patch that looks sewn on. Their left eye socket is empty and almost closed and the right one entirely replaced with a button. Sometimes the holes on it rotate. From beneath it runs a scar. Seam's lower body is never visible.
Seam appears friendly and welcoming but mentions living through many awful things, notably the kingdom drowning in despair and the loss of close friend Jevil to something Seam can't quite describe. Due to this Seam has become hopeless and cynical. So nihilistic has Seam become that despite referring to Jevil's destruction as some of the greatest chaos the land has ever seen, Seam is willing to let the party release Jevil from prison, believing the end will come sooner or later whether they do or not.
Some time before Kris and Susie arrive in the Dark World, Seam was the Court Magician working with Jevil, the Court Jester. One day, however, Jevil met a "strange someone," and his personality began to change. Soon, Jevil became insane, and Seam was forced by the four Kings to lock him away. Seam claims that Jevil's "strange words" have made their view of the world "darker, yet darker" ever since.
During Chapter 1, Seam has set up a shop selling "odds and ends" collected over the years. After meeting Jevil, the party can ask Seam about him. Seam explains the circumstances of Jevil's imprisonment, but believes that the party could possibly take care of him once and for all. With this, Seam gives the party Broken Key A and tells them to "walk where the stars don't shine" as a clue to the whereabouts of the next key piece.
After Jevil is defeated, and the party talks to Seam once more, Seam opens up about the past and is surprised when told Jevil has been defeated. Seam acknowledges the party as "heroes" while warning them that there's more to come.
If the party gets past King without harming anyone, the Royal Coat Rack appears among the celebrants at Card Castle. They mention that they asked Seam to come as well, but there was no interest.
After Kris gathers up all the items from the unused classroom and bring them into Castle Town, Seam appears in a new shop. They greet the party with nonchalance.
If Jevil has been defeated previously, Seam notices that Kris got a Shadow Crystal from him, and explains that they can do something with these crystals if the party gathers more of them by defeating bonus bosses.
After a journey from the Cyber World, Seam comments on the arrival of newcomers in Castle Town. If the secret boss has been defeated, Seam points out that the party got a Shadow Crystal from the fight.
If both Shadow Crystals are obtained during Chapters 1 and 2, Seam hints that the Lightners' next opponent may be their end, and that the only way to defeat them is with the Shadow Mantle, which they attempt to give the party but finds they can't find it at all.
- Upon entrance
- Hee hee...
- Welcome, travellers.
- In shop
- Take your time...
- Ain't like it's better spent.
- See you again...
- Or not.
- Ha ha ha ha...
- What do you like to buy? [While purchasing]
- Thanks for that. [On purchase]
- Not enough money. [Not enough D$ for purchase]
- You're carrying too much. [Full inventory]
- What, not good enough? [Refuse buy]
- What kind of junk you got? [While selling]
- Alright, give me an ITEM. [While selling items]
- What WEAPON will you give me? [While selling weapons]
- What ARMOR will you give me? [While selling armor]
- Thanks for that. [On sell]
- Y'think I WANT that? [Sell Manual, Jevilstail or Devilsknife in Chapter 2+, Dealmaker, Puppet Scarf, Thorn Ring]
- That's nothing. [Sell empty slot, Jevilstail or Devilsknife in Chapter 1]
- You don't have anything! [Attempt sell without items]
- No? [Refuse sell]
- That's it for that. [Sell all items]
- Don't have anything better to do.
- About yourself
- The name's Seam.
- Pronounced "Shawm."
- And this is my little Seap.
- Ha ha ha ha...
- Over the years, I've collected odds and ends.
- 'Course, I've no attachment to any of it.
- It's just a hobby of mine.
- Around here, you learn to find ways to pass the time...
- ... or go mad like everyone else.
- Long ago, the Darkners lived in harmony with the Lightners.
- They were like Gods to us.
- Our protectors.
- Our creators.
- Those who gave us purpose...
- Then, one day we were all locked away in this prison...
- And the Lightners never returned.
- Embittered, the King took up arms, and aims to take revenge upon the Lightners that left us behind.
- 'Course, even among his troops, some still distantly hope the Lightners will return...
- Historically, this land was ruled by the Four Kings, from CARD CASTLE to the East.
- But, recently, a strange knight appeared...
- And three of the kings were locked away.
- The remaining king put him and his strange son into power.
- This land hasn't seen THIS much chaos since...
- Ha ha ha...
- Well, you don't need to know about THAT.
- We're legendary
- Ha ha ha...
- So you are the "heroes" who are going to seal our Fountain?
- Ha, good luck.
- It makes no difference to me.
- Neither Light nor Dark hold a future for a Darkner in my condition.
- Strange prisoner
- Eh...? What are you talking about...? A prisoner with an odd manner...?
- No, you couldn't possibly be talking about HIM...?
- ... I see.
- After all the trouble I went through to lock him up, you want to release him?
- Hmm, now that you mention it, it could be troublesome if he was left alone...
- Yes, perhaps it's better if you heroes dealt with him now...?
- After all, it's not as if whatever happens, will matter in the end.
- Perhaps a little chaos might be fun.
- So then, take this.
- (BROKEN KEY A was added to your KEY ITEMS.)
- If you're so driven, find the other two pieces, and get someone to fix them.
- I'll even give you a hint - Walk where the stars don't shine.
- Anyhow, if you succeed, come back here and tell me! Good luck!!
- If you can call THIS luck... No, it's more like a curse...!
- Strange prisoner (talk again)
- Trouble opening the door...?
- Ha ha ha, well, whether you can or not, it doesn't matter to me.
- But here's a hint - walk where the stars don't shine.
- Strange prisoner (after opening Jevil's cell)
- You already opened the door...?
- Ha ha ha... I almost wish I could watch! Tell me what happens!
- Ha ha ha... though, I suppose if you don't come back, I'll understand, too!
- About JEVIL
- He... was a funny little man. Once, the court jester. I, the court magician.
- A friend...? Could I consider him a friend...? Perhaps, perhaps not.
- But he was the only one who matched me in the games we used to play.
- One day, he met a strange someone... and since then, he began to change.
- He started saying bizarre things that didn't completely make sense -
- But didn't completely not make sense, either.
- Soon, he began to see the world as a game, and everyone as its participants.
- As the court mage, and his only companion, I was forced to lock him away...
- Or, rather, lock US all away, in his own words.
- Since that time, the strange words he's said have stuck inside my cotton...
- And my view of this world has become darker, yet darker.
- Reflecting on these old memories, I think, perhaps - I miss playing games with him.
- And I wonder, if I hadn't been asked to lock him up...
- Would I have found a little more purpose in my life...?
- We won
- You defeated him!? You REALLY defeated him!?
- I see... perhaps you three may truly be "Heroes" after all...
- But JEVIL was just a taste of what you'll face from now on.
- One day soon...
- You too, will begin to realize the futility of your actions.
- Ha ha ha...
- At that time, feel free to come back here.
- I'll make you tea...
- And we can toast... to the end of the world!
- Beginning of Chapter 2, without defeating Jevil in Chapter 1
- Hmm... so we are now in the Castle Town.
- Well, now. It makes no difference to me.
- As long as I stay in my shop, these walls won't change.
- ... But.
- In a way, I suppose it's just a little bit amusing to see you again.
- I'm sure you three will have an interesting journey.
- Me? I'll just be here offering the same old junk.
- As you find stronger treasure, I'm sure you'll have little reason to return here.
- But if you have some time, I'll offer you a biscuit and a hint!
- Before seeing Susie's room in Ralsei's Castle, after Seam's first dialogue
- The little prince has something to show you in his castle.
- Well now, are you going to turn down a royal invitation?
- After seeing Susie's room in Ralsei's castle, after Seam's first dialogue
- If I were you, I would head home to the LIGHT WORLD.
- Of course, I'm not you. So, I'm staying right here.
- By the by, I can't offer any advice when you're not here...
- So I'm not sure my hints will be much use after all! Ha ha!
- Beginning of Chapter 2, after defeating Jevil in Chapter 1 or collecting one of his items from the west of the Castle Town if available
- So we are here now, in a new world.
- And right off the heels of defeating that clown... Incredible.
- ... Oh? What's that? It seems like he gave something to you.
- That's right... You must not have noticed it.
- That Crystal... It's nearly invisible, but you've been holding it this entire time.
- Here, I'll take it off your hands and appraise it.
- Incredible! To think he had a Shadow Crystal...
- Shadow Crystals, so called because you can only see their shadow.
- Call it a premonition, but I get the feeling you may find more of these...
- ... If you continue to defeat stronger adversaries like him, that is.
- If you can gather more Shadow Crystals, bring them here!
- I'm sure I can stitch together something incredible for you...
- After starting Chapter 2 from a fresh save file and having defeated Jevil on a previous Chapter 1 save file, then collecting one of his items from the west of the Castle Town, after already talking to Seam in Chapter 2
- Ah, yes, that's right. It didn't occur to me until just now, but...
- You three defeated that clown last time, didn't you?
- ... Oh? What's that? It seems like he gave something to you.
- (From there, the dialogue is the same as above.)
- Talking again after either of the above 2 dialogues
- If you can defeat more strong adversaries, you may find more Shadow Crystals.
- Try your best! It may be tough, but I'm sure it will be worth it!
- (The above dialogue overrides any other dialogue in the beginning of Chapter 2.)
- After Chapter 2, without any Shadow Crystals
- There are many fresh faces in town, I see.
- It warms this old fluff to see such hope.
- I was even surprised to see the Queen again.
- Same as ever... Well, aren't we all.
- Talking again, after recruiting at least 9 Darkners in Chapter 2
- Those young men have made an interesting shop.
- They're leaving the bagel business, so I have the rest of their remaining stock.
- ...By the by, it's growing late, isn't it?
- You should hurry home once you finish your business here.
- You don't want to get caught when the sun goes down...
- Talking again, if instead you didn't recruit at least 9 Darkners
- Those three young musical men are thinking about setting up a shop here.
- I'm sure you'd appreciate having an option other than me, ha ha.
- ... By the by, it's growing late, isn't it?
- With Spamton NEO's Shadow Crystal, but without Jevil's
- ...What is that? It appears you have a Shadow Crystal.
- Unfortunately, I believe that you are missing one from your previous adventures.
- But, are you sure? Are you sure you didn't defeat that clown...?
- Perhaps... You just haven't remembered that you had yet.
- That's right, as long as you ever defeated that enemy in the past...
- Then perhaps, even now, that Crystal might turn up somewhere close... Perhaps!
- After collecting Jevil's Shadow Crystal from the west of the Castle Town
- Aha! Another Shadow Crystal! You found it...
- You can't see it, so perhaps you didn't notice...
- Didn't you defeat him? Didn't you defeat Jevil?
- Here, I'll take that Crystal. Now, you have collected 2 of them! Huzzah!
- With Spamton NEO's Shadow Crystal, after already giving them Jevil's
- Well, what have we here! You managed to find another Shadow Crystal...
- Oh, is that so? That salesman had found the crystal in the old machine...?
- I wonder... if perhaps, long ago, that old machine was very important to someone.
- A certain Lightner, perhaps... or maybe it's just a hunch. Haha!
- At any rate, it's truly unfortunate a Darkner decided to steal that power...
- Or, is it fortunate? Because of that, you found a new Crystal.
- Here, let me hold on to that for you. Ha ha ha!
- Talking after giving them 2 Shadow Crystals
- You have collected 2 Shadow Crystals.
- But don't let down your guard. I feel your next opponent may be... hm.
- In reality, it may be impossible to win.
- ... Unless you use the power of the Shadow Mantle.
- Here, it may look like an old scrap of cloth, but...
- ... eh?
- I can't find it. Did someone... take it...?
- Hahaha! Well now, there goes your one chance of victory!
- Talking 2+ times after giving them 2 Shadow Crystals
- You have collected 2 Shadow Crystals.
- Unfortunately, without the Shadow Mantle, at 2 you may remain.
- Fate is approaching... and it is not on your side.
- After Chapter 2, if given Jevil's Shadow Crystal but without obtaining Spamton NEO's
- ... It seems that you didn't get another Shadow Crystal.
- Hm. I understand. It's no small feat to fight an opponent that has one.
- Well then, forget it all.
- You're a Lightner. Don't take your life, well, lightly!
- In the Abandoned Classroom in the School, a battered purple stuffed animal with one yellow eye bears a resemblance to Seam.
- Seam is the only shopkeeper to not appear outside of their shop.
- The pronunciation of Seam's name (as "Shawm") is a reference to the name Sean, pronounced "Shawn."
- Seam refers to the shop as the "Seap" (pronounced as "Shawp," or "Shop",) another reference to the pronunciation of Sean.
- Seam's position as a Court Magician and Jevil's counterpart could be a reference to the practice of cartomancy, in which the black Joker card is interpreted as the Fool and the red Joker as the Magician.
- In the background of Seam's shop, on the upper left shelf, is a doll of Yoki; a character created by Temmie Chang.
- Seam, in the English Deltarune release, is never referred to by third person pronouns. However, in the Undertale 6th anniversary stream, Toby Fox referred to Seam with "they."
- In the Japanese version:
- Seam uses the personal pronoun あたし (atashi), an old-fashioned pronoun typically used only by women in the modern day. This pronoun used to be gender-neutral and is often used by elderly men as well, so Seam's usage of it could possibly be an indicator of age.
- They introduce themself as ヌイ (Nui), a direct transliteration of the Japanese word for "sewing". Instead of correcting the pronunciation of their name like in the English version, they point out that their name is イヌ (Inu; "dog") spelled backwards.
- Since that time, the strange words he's said have stuck inside my cotton... - Seam talking about Jevil
- UNDERTALE 6th Anniversary So We Play DELTARUNE Chapter 1 For Some Reason - LIVE! - YouTube
- "［代］《「わたし」の音変化》一人称の人代名詞。「わたし」よりもくだけた言い方。男女ともに用いたが、現在では主に女性が用いる。" - Goo Dictionary on the pronoun "あたし"