Ponman is an enemy appearing on the Great Board. They are a reference to pawns from the game of chess.
Ponmen appear similar to white pawns from the game of chess. Their lower body is split in half, giving them legs. The black dot on their head is not only an eyespot, but also a nucleus.
Ponmen don't talk. According to Mr. Society, Ponmen are simple beings with no will of their own, as they only attack on the order of the King. However, if they are spared multiple times, they agree to stop the battle, indicating that it may not be completely true. After the King is defeated, Ponmen become free and join the Closet Dark World.
As the party travels through the Great Board, Ponmen appear as inanimate statues of pawns. Some of them jump down from pillars and chase the party as they pass by them.
Ponman shoots 1-3 diamond projectiles from its eye-spots, which track the SOUL.
Kris can say goodnight to a Ponman, which puts it to sleep and makes it spareable. Kris can also command Ralsei to sing a lullaby, putting the targeted Ponmen (and Susie) to sleep and making the others tired. A Ponman can also be spared 10 times to make it spareable, and reducing one to 46 HP (a third of its maximum HP) or less makes it tired.
A spareable Ponman stops attacking and their idle animation freezes.
Damaging a Ponman with an attack wakes it up if it was put to sleep by the Goodnight or Lullaby ACTs (and removes the "asleep" status which makes it spareable), but it remains spareable after it is spared 10 times.
- Its nucleus doubles as an eyespot. [Check]
- Ponman drew near! [Encounter]
- Ponman advances one step at a time. [Neutral]
- Ponman listens politely, despite having no ears. [Neutral]
- Ponman seems hypnotized by your idle animation. [Neutral]
- Ponman gazes enigmatically. [Neutral]
- Smells like a pawn shop. [Neutral]
- You whispered goodnight to Ponman. It fell asleep... [Goodnight]
- Ralsei sang a soft and entrancing lullaby! PONMAN fell asleep! SUSIE fell asleep! The enemies became TIRED! [Lullaby]
- You and Ralsei warned Ponman about Susie. The enemy went on guard... [Warning]
- Ponman can't keep its eye open. [Tired]
- Ponman looks dilated. [Low HP]
- Ponman is sleeping soundly. [Sleepy]
- The Ponmen do not jump from the pillars to attack if Susie has rejoined the party.
- This is likely because the Lullaby ACT puts Susie to sleep, and would be counterproductive when she follows commands.
- The dislike of "moving backwards" is a reference to the fact that in chess, pawns cannot move backwards.