Why the hell is there a castle inside a supply closet...?
Initially, Ralsei is the only inhabitant. At the start of Chapter 2, Kris transfers residents of Card Kingdom to Castle Town. With the town populated and transformed, the name in the SAVE Point and the theme changes to My Castle Town.
In Chapter 2, the Rudinn in front of Party Dojo refers to Castle Town as "[PLAYER]Town." "[PLAYER]" is the player's name, as provided in the Introduction or upon starting Chapter 2 without a Chapter 1 SAVE file.
Kris and Susie arrive at Castle Town after they slide down a cliff near the end of ??????, escaping Lancer's attacks. At the entrance of the town, they note how the unfamiliar area appears deserted. They then progress toward the castle.
In front of the castle, they meet a hooded Ralsei, who states he is the "Prince of this Kingdom." He offers to inform Kris and Susie of the Legend of Delta Rune, and how they are the foretold "HEROES of LIGHT." After the tale, Susie declines on being a hero, as she considers it "pretending" and prefers leaving. Before Ralsei can change Susie's mind, Lancer appears and knocks him away. Lancer introduces himself and his intent to defeat the two to ensure they do not go east, as it is their "only way home."
Lancer engages Kris and Susie in an encounter, and subsequently retreats. Ralsei then walks back to the two and expresses concern. Upon Susie's request, he takes off his hood and reveals his appearance. After he confirms that they must go east, Susie departs. Ralsei recommends to Kris that they find Susie, and follows behind Kris.
At Castle Town's Training Area, Ralsei offers to teach Kris about encounters. Afterwards, nearby the Great Door, Ralsei is surprised that it is open. He informs Kris how he believes that their "choices are important," and suggests that they avoid FIGHTing. The two go through, and Ralsei closes the Great Door.
Kris and Susie return to Castle Town immediately upon entering the supply closet. Ralsei greets the two, and Susie notices Lancer and other Darkners are absent. Ralsei asks her to wait, and whispers to Kris to return to Light World and bring everything from the Unused Classroom to Castle Town.
Once Kris returns with everything, Card Kingdom's Darkners appear, and the Town Square transforms. Lancer greets Susie and is excited that everyone can enjoy their "new home." Ralsei then informs Susie that Card Kingdom reverted back into the Unused Classroom. Shortly afterwards, Ralsei states a surprise awaits Kris and Susie within the Castle. After Kris and Susie inspect their new rooms, Ralsei invites them to explore Castle Town.
As Kris nears the entrance, Susie expresses disinterest in doing the group project. Ralsei overhears, and "banishes" the two until they start their project. Lancer, Rouxls Kaard, and if found, Starwalker join by becoming Key Items before Kris and Susie leaves.
In Chapter 1, Kris and Susie notice that the center of Castle Town has four vacant buildings. Each building's exterior is black, has two windows, a door, and the roof curling towards the town's road. If Kris inspects any of the buildings, all four appear to be shops that are locked, with no one present. The signage from bottom left, top left, bottom right, and top right for each shop depicts a different icon: a sack, a sword, a question mark, and an inn. After the buildings is a SAVE Point, and the entrance to Ralsei's Castle.
At the start of Chapter 2, the Town Square is the same until Kris returns with the Card Kingdom Darkners. The area itself expands to accommodate the residents. The buildings also transform from its uniform appearances into ones with distinct features. The sack icon shop becomes Party Dojo, the sword shop becomes Seam's Shop, the question mark shop becomes Top Bakery, and the inn becomes the Café. Near the SAVE point is an open manual that explains Recruits, Controls, and Item storage.
Initially, an assortment of Card Kingdom's denizens are scattered around the square. In front of Top Bakery, Rouxls Kaard wonders if Kris has also brought King. If spoken to again, he contemplates looking for a "New Employere" after Lancer announces that Rouxls will do all the cooking and cleaning.
In front of Party Dojo, a Rudinn welcomes them to "[PLAYER]Town," and expresses happiness. After Cyber World, Rudinn comments on the town's growth. If spoken to again, Rudinn has different dialogue.
Southwest of the Party Dojo is a Rudinn Ranger and another Rudinn. The Rudinn Ranger proclaims the day as "National Ham Sandwich Day of Independence!" The Rudinn ponders if the Rudinn Ranger is enjoying life due to being at a "higher level." West of Seam's Shop is a Blue B Block who barks and states their appearance.
A Hathy is east of Top Bakery. She expresses liking the town. If Kris has inspected all four Hathy beds in Card Castle's Floor 3F, she has alternate dialogue. After Cyber World, she is happy to see newcomers. East of the Café is a clean Rabbick, excited at the notion of a "clean start." After Cyber World, Rabbick sweeps with a smaller broom.
After returning from Cyber World, some of Darkners from there are present in Town Square. Southwest of the Party Dojo, Virovirokun and Rudinn reminisces about their encounters with the party, and comments on Noelle. West of Seam's Shop is a Werewire in a suit who is thankful, though intends to keep their appearance. Nearby Top Bakery, a Plugboy is also thankful, though dislikes the restaurant. A thankful Swatchling sweeps near the Café.
Located to the right of Castle Town's entrance, this area is used for Ralsei's training dummy in Chapter 1. However, Kris can decline on learning about encounters. Regardless of Kris's decision, Ralsei gives Kris a Manual. In Chapter 2, the dummy is still present. Kris has the option to hug the dummy if they have not transferred Card Kingdom's Darkners. Afterwards, Worm can be found eating the dummy's clothes. After returning from the Cyber World, an Addison can be found here selling free sample bites of the clothes that were previously on the dummy.
Sweet Cap'n Cakes's Music Room can also be found in this area if all enemies have been recruited in the Cyber World. In the Music Room, the party can play some tracks from the Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 OST. If they have not, Sweet Cap'n Cakes mention how they need more recruits to reopen their shop.
Mr. Elegance is also present in the area. After returning from the Cyber World, he mentions how they are rebuilding the area to be more board-like.
Going past the training area brings the party to the Great Door which leads to the Field in Chapter 1. In Chapter 2, the door seems to be permanently closed, and a Bloxer with three pairs of pants can be found there instead. After returning from the Cyber World, several NPCs can appear:
- The Bloxer adds a fourth pair of pants if Tasque Manager was recruited.
- If Poppup, Tasque or Maus were recruited, but Tasque Manager was not, whichever were recruited wander around the door.
- If fewer than four cars were hit while driving with Queen, and no "lost animals" are present (whether because Tasque Manager was recruited or none of the animal Darkners were), a tiny walking car appears instead.
The Party Dojo, run by Jigsaw Joe, allows the party to attempt various challenges, which each yield various rewards. The challenges are in the form of battles that serve as minigames.
|Challenge||Prize||In-game description||Battle description||Available|
|Jigsaw Joe||Joe's Life Savings (1 D$)||Learn how to spare like a champ.||In the battle, Jigsaw Joe tells the party to ACT and spare on the same turn, because sparing otherwise does not work (after shaving Joe's beard, it regrows next turn). After sparing him once, he returns to remind the party that making an enemy tired and pacifying on the same turn works as well. The party can also attack Jigsaw Joe directly; he complains that this is not the way to Spare an enemy, but because a win is a win, he still rewards them.||Beginning of Chapter 2|
|Graze Challenge 1||$100||Get 100% TP without getting hit! You can do it, boss!||In the battle, a Jigsawry is attacking the party with puzzle pieces and the party must graze the bullets to reach 100% TP to complete the challenge.||Beginning of Chapter 2|
|Clover Rematch||Clubs Sandwich||It's not Clover's birthday anymore! She won't go easy on you now!||A slightly different Clover battle, which is harder than combat with Clover in Chapter 1. It is the only Chapter 2 battle to use the Chapter 1 damage calculation.||Beginning of Chapter 2|
|Tasque Manager Says||$250||Winning's as easy as A-B-C! You've got three chances, boss!||A regular Tasque Manager battle without the Tasques surrounding her. When the party gets hit, Tasque Manager gives them an X, and after 4 turns during which the party was not hit Tasque Manager gives the party an O. After receiving three X, the battle ends unsuccessfully, and after receiving three O the challenge is successfully complete.||After returning from Cyber World, if Tasque Manager was recruited|
|Ch2 All Stars||Tension Gem||Face everyone in a row! It'll take some stamina...||Battle against most recruits from the Cyber World.||After returning from Cyber World if enough enemies were recruited|
In Chapter 2, Seam's shop from the Field has been transferred to Castle Town. They are selling their usual wares. Kris can periodically converse with Seam for their advice. If Kris has found any Shadow Crystals, they can give it to Seam. If Sweet Cap'n Cakes opens their Music Shop, Seam replaces their Dark Candy stock with CD Bagels.
Malius and Lancer can be found in the Top Bakery. Malius offers the party to fix them or fuse multiple items into one. Lancer offers the party a free Lancer Cookie, but does not give the cookie if the party already has one, complaining that he needs to regenerate.
After returning from the Cyber World, Swatch banishes the Top Chef from the cafe, so he shows up in the bakery. If the party returned his repaired Top Cake in Chapter 1, Top Chef gives the party a Spin Cake whenever they do not already have one.
The Cafe is a building where the player can interact with their party's Recruits. Four different recruits can be placed at the three tables inside, and interacting with each of them can allow the player to learn more about their personalities. Depending on the composition of their placement, the recruits' responses to Kris interacting with them varies, although they mainly share their drink or snack preferences by attempting to voice their order if they lack any dynamics between them.
The initial composition of the recruits are a Jigsawry seated at the table closest to the broken jukebox near the northwest corner, a Rudinn seated at the table across it, and another Rudinn sharing the southern table with a Hathy, respectively seated west and east of said table.
Before visiting Cyber World, Top Chef runs the Cafe—he wanted to run the Top Bakery, but someone (Malius) is already working there, so he is serving pastries from the Cafe instead. After returning from Cyber World, Swatch takes over the Cafe and banishes Top Chef to the Top Bakery. Interacting with whoever is currently manning the counter gives the player the option to check their current recruits and change which are currently placed in the available seats.
Tasque Manager, a Tasque, and a Swatchling appear in the Cafe if they are recruited in the Cyber World, separately from the placed recruits. As a result, Tasque Manager cannot be placed at a table, although additional Tasques and Swatchlings can.
In Chapter 2, after Kris brings all objects from the unused classroom to the closet, Mr. Society can be found next to the cliffs. He mentions being unable to handle society and floats to the top of the cliff. If the party completed his blue checkmark quest in the Cyber World, the Hacker can be found here as well, mentioning how the Castle Town is nearly as good as the city he made in "Minecrap."
In Chapter 2, if the save file was not continued from a Chapter 1 save file in which Jevil was defeated, but Jevil has been defeated in any Chapter 1 save file, Jevil's Shadow Crystal and either the Jevilstail or Devilsknife can be found in a hole in the side of the cliff once Castle Town has been transformed into My Castle Town. These items can be found before visiting the Cyber World; after visiting Cyber World, it is only possible to retrieve the Shadow Crystal here if Spamton NEO was defeated.
Ralsei's castle entrance is the place where Kris and Susie meet Ralsei for the first time, before the first Lancer battle takes place. No other parts of the castle are accessible in this chapter. In Chapter 2, on the place where Kris and Susie met Ralsei the Royal Coat Rack and the Little Ball are now present, if the party hasn't hurt anybody during Chapter 1.
After entering the castle, a large cauldron in which Ralsei cooks can be seen. To the left is the staircase to the second floor, to the right is the staircase to the basement, and a large, locked door can be found just north of the cauldron.
The second floor, also known as "Living Quarters," is where Kris's, Susie's, and Lancer's rooms are located, as well as a closed down staircase to the third floor, where Ralsei's room is found, but still under construction during the events of Chapter 2. After returning from the Cyber World, the Queen can be found here too, planning her new room on the third floor. If all Darkners were recruited in the Cyber World, Lancer and the Queen can be found lying on loungers here, with a Rudinn as their fan, similarly to how Susie and Lancer did in the Forest.
Kris's room contains a bed with a striped blanket, a wall shelf with trophies, a drawer with a stand for their Manual, and a wardrobe full of clothes. If the Manual was thrown away in Chapter 1, the drawer is replaced with a trash can. If Kris has eaten the moss in Chapter 1, there is "decorative moss" at the bottom right corner of the room. If collected from Noelle's room in the Queen's Mansion, the ICE-E statue appears here. Susie's room contains a spiked bed, a refrigerator, another stand for her Manual, and another wardrobe. If collected from Noelle's room in the Mansion, a statue of a monster similar to the Prophecy panel appears here. Lancer's room looks exactly the same as in Card Castle, but without his bike in the bed.
The basement, or "Living Quarters for Bad Guys," contains two cages with three former kings and circus animals, and one large jail cell containing the King, whose cage resembles that of a giant hamster cage. C. Round is shown to be the protector of this room.
- If Kris talks to Susie a second time before they meet Ralsei, she wonders if Castle Town is "an abandoned theme park." However, she immediately comments on the lack of rides, and assumes this is why the area is deserted.
- If Kris inspects the door to Ralsei's Castle, Ralsei suggests they should find Susie first. He also offers to bake a cake after their adventure. Inspecting the door again prompts Ralsei to suggest saving the world. "It seems a bit important."
- If Kris only walks in Castle Town after Ralsei joins the party, Ralsei comments, "Er, Kris, you know you can hold [X] to run...?" Depending on the selected response, Ralsei also has different dialogue:
- Choosing "Really!?" causes Ralsei to reaffirm this. He states that he will be behind them, though if they "want to get away," he apologizes.
- "I know" causes Ralsei to be surprised and comment, "Right, who knows how long these leisurely days will last... There's nothing wrong with taking your time, Kris."
- If Kris interacts with the rockslide leading into Castle Town from ?????? in Chapter 1, Ralsei mentions how he doesn't know how Lancer got up there.
- In Chapter 2, if Kris only walks after descending into Castle Town the first time, Susie hesitantly reminds them that they can run. The narration also mentions the key used to run.
- Kris has the option to hug the Ralsei dummy before going to the Unused Classroom. If Kris chooses to do so and talks to Susie and Ralsei, they comment on Kris hugging it.
- After Kris returns, if Susie's dialogue is still present when she says "... one...?", the Darkners' sparkles overlap the dialogue box.
- If Worm is near the Ralsei dummy, Kris has the choice to put their mouth on the mannequin. Ralsei becomes extra surprised if they do, and Susie remarks, "Don't bother. It tastes awful." regardless.
- If Chapter 2 is loaded without using a Chapter 1 file, these are the defaults:
- Kris's room has the Manual on a shelf, and no decorative moss.
- Royal Coat Rack and the Little Ball are present.
- Top Chef won't give a Spin Cake, as the Top Cake was not repaired/returned.
- Battle's Master states that the 1 D$ "FUNDING GOAL" for their Hole was not reached, and does not talk about it.
- Starwalker is not present when Kris and Susie leave Castle Town.
- Kris's room bears a resemblance to Asriel's side of their room in Hometown. Unlike Asriel's, the room lacks a flower poster, a digital alarm clock, and games underneath the bed. The mock window has a different drape design, and appears sketched like the star scribbles.
- The Great Door that leads to the Field appears to have a Light World equivalent that connects the janitor's closet to the unused classroom. This may explain how the party is able to travel to the other Dark World without entering the Light World and ends up in the unused classroom. With the sealing of the Card Castle Dark Fountain, the Great Door no longer connects to another Dark World, explaining why it can no longer open.
- This is a dream that grows with love and care. Don't be afraid to dream! - Rudinn in front of Party Dojo
- (She hopes you'll find enough beds to inspect.) (You'll lose your bed inspector title if you don't inspect enough beds.) - Hathy near Top Bakery.
- gml_Object_obj_npc_castle_door_Create_0 script, lines 47-55
- yee!! I can share a few concept arts of deltarune stuffs (not fanart this time) here's what this looked like before i pixelled it - Temmie Chang (@tuyoki) on Twitter, November 16, 2018.
- Come to think of it, how did Lancer get up there...? I suppose he rode his bike up the side of the cliff...? - Ralsei
- (You remembered something about the [X] button.) - Narration